How to prevent, control, and live well with diabetes.
- Page Count
- Book Type
- Cover Treatment
Mayo Clinic 5 Steps to Controlling High Blood Pressure, Second Edition
5 Steps to Controlling High Blood Pressure, Second Edition is organized into three parts where you will find a comprehensive guide to understanding and controlling the condition.
PART 1: Five Key Steps to Control High Blood Pressure — Discover five specific steps you can take to control your high blood pressure through lifestyle and medication. Simple, easy-to-follow strategies help you get your blood pressure under control and guide you past obstacles to a successful treatment program.
PART 2: Understanding High Blood Pressure — Learn the basics of high blood pressure, with details on risk factors, screening and diagnosis. Understanding how high blood pressure develops will help you keep it in check before it seriously harms your health.
PLUS — Get to know essential self-care techniques, including how to monitor your blood pressure, avoid drug interactions, and recognize an emergency. Find out how high blood pressure impacts specific groups, such as women, children or those with an additional condition, such as heart disease or diabetes.
Learn the facts you may not know!
- Out of 76 million Americans who have high blood pressure, less than half are taking what doctors consider to be effective steps to treat it.
- Millions of Americans are classified as prehypertensive, meaning they are at increased risk of developing high blood pressure.
- You can take simple steps to improve your blood pressure or possibly prevent ever having high blood pressure.
- High blood pressure contributes to the development of coronary artery disease, heart failure, stroke and dementia.
- Learn which single factor you can do the most about when it comes to influencing your blood pressure.
- You know that maintaining a healthy weight is important. And we know it's not easy. But losing as little as 10 pounds may reduce your blood pressure to a healthier level. This book offers practical help for meeting the challenge of achieving and maintaining a healthier weight.
- There's a great alternative to blood pressure medications. This step may lower your blood pressure just about as much — without the expense of prescriptions.
- Did you know that your blood pressure goes down if you make your heart stronger? A strong heart exerts less force on arteries. You'll find dozens of tips to realize this goal.
- Of all the issues related to high blood pressure, none is more debated than salt. But moderating salt consumption can benefit everyone, regardless of age, race, sex or health status.
- In this book, you'll learn how to manage your sodium intake and live a healthier life.
- When changes in lifestyle aren't enough, today's medications offer effective blood pressure control while reducing your risk of other health concerns. Learn which medication, or combination of medications, may be best suited to your individual health needs and medical history.
You may also be interested in:
- Mayo Clinic 5 Steps to Controlling High Blood Pressure, Second Edition
- Cover Treatment
- Manage your blood pressure for better health.
- Sheldon G. Sheps, M.D.
- Your personal guide to preventing and managing hypertension.
- Product Type
- Mayo Clinic
- Copyright Date
When you purchase Mayo Clinic products and services, proceeds are used to further medical education and research at Mayo Clinic. You not only get the answers to your questions on health, you become part of the solution.